Summary:American Campus Communities (ACC) holds the Operations Specialist responsible for various Management Services projects. Scope of duties will vary according to projects, but may include the following: assisting student housing properties with on-site management functions; facilitating training and development of property staff; assisting in the development and distribution of property operations resources and training material; implementing the property’s strategic marketing plan, assisting in leasing efforts and strategy, conducting market research and analysis projects; other projects as assigned. Extensive travel will be required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned):
Property Management responsibilities (Also See General Manager Position Description)
Training and Organizational Resources
- Assist operations at properties that are temporarily short-staffed or in need of staff development
- Supervise property staff
- Appropriately confront and handle discipline procedures
- Oversee property leasing and marketing efforts
- Oversee the programming efforts
- Provide marketing strategy and advice
- Ensure appropriate occupancy rates, evictions, revenue and expenses are maintained
- Ensure timely collection of rents
- Ensure timely payment of invoices
- Supervise all facilities management for property
- Maintain ongoing communication with university officials
- Service as ACC representative in all interactions
- Report to the VP of Operational Systems and Implementation and the Regional Manager overseeing operations at that property
- Function as a resource for property staff, answering questions regarding corporate standards, policies, and procedures
- Screen candidates for potential employment at ACC
- Analyze student housing markets, develop conclusions and compose detailed reports for Senior Management Services personnel, ownership representatives, or university officials
- Assist the Senior VP of Management Services in developing management contract proposals
- Other projects as assigned by the VP of Operational Systems and Implementation
- Maintain ongoing communications with university officials
- Update corporate office on university relations and communications
Other duties as assigned
- Serve as ACC representative and liaison in all interactions
- Assist in corporate projects as request
- Serve as Public Relations representative to all interested parties
- Assist with conferences, hiring employees, etc. as requested
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Bachelor degree required; or 4 years experience in the student/multi-family housing industry; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Skills in facility management, budgeting, analytical review of financials, supervision, business administration, public relations, and a combination of business and student development skills.
- Demonstrate leadership skills.
- Previous General Manager experience in the open student/multi-family housing industry is required.
- Previous marketing and leasing experience in the open student/mutil-family housing industry is required.
- The ability to review supply and demand and make recommendations based on market performance.
- Identify critical or underperforming unit types based on leasing data, leasing velocity trends, and past year’s performance.
- The ability to analyze effectiveness of marketing campaigns based on target markets.
- Make recommendations on rate changes, leasing specials, and additional marketing efforts as necessary.
- The ability to review website analytics of website traffic, bounce rate and traffic sources.
- Previous open student/multi-family housing experience monitoring effectiveness of marketing mediums and provide recommendations while working with the property marketing budget.
- Previous open student/multi-family housing experience completing strategic marketing plans and successful implementation.
§ Previous open student/multi-family housing experience with successful execution and implementation with renewal campaigns and processes.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret business/financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquires or complaints from residents, prospective tenants, or members of management.
- Ability to write business correspondence and proposals that conform to prescribed style and format of the Company.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Email, Internet, Word Processing software, Spreadsheet software, and experience with Property management software – MRI preferred.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The employee may frequently drive a vehicle (intrastate and interstate travel) or be subject to air travel for purposes of Company business.
Rules of Engagement:
In the event the assignment is longer than two weeks, trips home will be planned out with the supervising Regional Manager and the VP of Operational Systems and Implementation based on available budget
- While on assignment, Operations Specialist will report both to the VP of Operational Systems and Implementation and the supervising Regional Manager
- Operational Specialist will be provided the following resources:
- Cell Phone
- Laptop Computer
- Credit card for travel expenses
- Assignments are based on needs at the corporate and property level. As such, minimal advance notice to travel may be provided
- All expenses related to travel for assignments will be covered by the Company in compliance with the ACC Travel Guide and the Operations Specialist Travel Expense Guidelines, except where otherwise noted
- When an assignment is longer than two weeks, the lodging accommodation should have basic cooking facilities, and meals will no longer be provided by the Company
- If an assignment is less than two weeks, Operational Specialist will not return home during the duration of the assignment