The Desk Assistant is a representative of the staff, serving an important role in developing a sense of community. The desk assistant is responsible for three areas of accountability. These areas are the keys to the orderly operation of the front desk.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned):
I. MAINTAIN COMMUNITY STANDARDS AND SAFETY
- Assist in identifying and reporting maintenance and safety problems.
- Assist in managing fire and other emergency situations, always notifying professional staff first if time permits.
- Know the location of the nearest fire extinguisher, and be familiar with the operation of the fire alarm panel and of fire safety equipment.
- Assist in security checks of the property while on duty.
- Know emergency telephone numbers.
- Assist in the supervision of student conduct and noise levels throughout the Community (i.e. periodic checks of front fire lane and other areas as assigned), and the notification of the On-Call PA's for other issues.
- Assist in the communication and interpretation of policies and regulations.
- Assist in maintaining established quiet hours.
- Stay up to date in policies by reading newsletters, staff memos, etc.
II. ASSIST STUDENTS: PROVIDE CUSTOMER SERVICE
- Assist in the welcoming and orientation of new residents (i.e. helping in the location of rooms and available facilities, etc.)
- Assist in providing information on campus services and agencies.
- Ensure that proper procedures are adhered to in the issuance and return of equipment.
- Assists guests in contacting the resident they are visiting and ensuring their compliance with procedures regarding visitors.
III. PERFORM ADMINISTRATIVE TASKS
- Assist the professional staff during check-in and check-out.
- Maintain all administrative logs as designated by the professional staff.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the management staff.
- Maintain punctuality to assigned shifts.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Email, Internet, Outlook, and Microsoft Office applications.
Certificates and Licenses:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust focus.