Full Time or Part Time:
Our Potbelly Assistant Managers are our future GMs! This person leads with Positive Energy at each and every shift to make Potbelly the best place for lunch and a great place for our employees and our customers. In this role, you will learn all aspects of our business so you can become developed and ready to move to the next step, General Manager.
Our Potbelly Managers lead and behave according to Potbelly Values. They lead, inspire and develop our great people so they can produce outstanding product quality and customer service. They help build sales and control costs for each shift. They follow standard Potbelly operating policies and procedures with essential areas of focus including but not limited to: People
- Train, coach and develop Potbelly Associates and Shift Leaders.
- Contribute to Associate and Shift Leader performance appraisals.
- Conduct weekly feedback sessions with Associates, Certified Trainers and Shift Leaders.
- Know, enforce, and educate Associates, Certified Trainers and Shift Leaders on all of the appropriate personnel policies, labor laws, and security and safety procedures.
- Contribute to the hiring and retention of Associates, Certified Trainers and Shift Leaders.
- Execute a plan to decrease turnover and improve Associate’s job satisfaction.
- Effectively schedule Associates, Certified Trainers and Shift Leaders.
- Update communication board with critical shop information.
- Hold monthly Associate, Certified Trainer and Shift Leader meetings.
- Develop musician schedule.
- Make customers really happy.
- Effectively handle customer complaints.
- Maintain critical standards for raw and finished product quality, service speed and quality, cleanliness and sanitation.
- Ensure a clean and sanitary environment by assigning daily cleaning duties and weekly follow-up.
- Properly executes, enforces and manages all food safety requirements and practices.
- Enforce and maintain uniform policy.
- Manage back-of-the-house to ensure standards are met.
- Ensure shop security and safety by executing procedures properly.
- Effectively drive neighborhood shop marketing and promotions to maximize sales potential, including sourcing and blitzing outside of shop for recruiting and marketing purposes.
- Control assigned P&L line items.
- Control food components, labor, waste, and cash across shifts.
- Count drawers and ensure proper cash handling procedures are followed.
- Responsible for weekly update of daily prep sheet.
- Maintain all food pars and appropriate inventory and place shop orders (from SMS, data source, etc.)
- Must have the ability/stamina to work a minimum of 50 to 55 hours a week.
- Ability to stand/walk for 9-10 hours per day and sit for 1-2 hours per day.
- Must be able to exert well-paced and frequent mobility for periods of up to five hours.
- Ability to lift up to 10 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds occasionally.
- Will frequently reach, feel, bend, stoop, carry, finely manipulate and key in data.
- Must be able to work in both warm and cool environments, indoors (95%) and outdoors (5%).
- Must be able to tolerate higher levels of noise from music, customer and employee traffic.
- Must be able to tolerate potential allergens: peanut products, egg, dairy, gluten, soy, seafood and shellfish.
- Ability to manage a fast-paced, high-volume, customer-focused restaurant through organization and coordination of schedules, problem-solving, maintaining cleanliness, training employees, execution of marketing plans and providing great customer service.
Qualifications / Requirements:
Experience, Education and Behaviors
- Must represent Potbelly Advantage and Our Values.
- Minimum of at least 2 years management experience in either a restaurant or retail environment.
- High School degree; Bachelor’s degree, preferred.
- As a requirement of the position, all Shift Leaders and Managers must be trained and pass a Food Safety Certification course. In Illinois, certification is required through the Illinois Department of Public Health, while in all other states certification is required through the National Restaurant Association (ServSafe), National Registry of Food Safety Professionals or the National Environmental Health Association (Prometric). Should the Shift Leader or Manager fail to pass the certification requirements after two attempts, he or she will be not be qualified to continue to perform in a Shift Leader or Management capacity.
- Ability to comprehend and communicate in English via verbal and written communication, such that employee can perform his or her job responsibilities.
- Ability to manage a fast-paced, high-volume, customer-focused restaurant through organization and coordination of schedules, supervision and counseling of employees, problem-solving, maintaining cleanliness, execution of marketing plans, training employees and providing great customer service.
- Ability to maintain deadlines and prioritize while running an effective shift.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Strong business acumen.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task.
- Ability to build and develop strong teams and handle conflict resolution.
- Strong interviewing skills.
- Ability to write effective schedules and maintain labor goals.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office.