I. Job Summary
The General Cashier, collects and prepares funds daily from hotel departments for shipment to the bank; provides change for departments and employees in accordance with hotel cash handling and accounting procedures. The General Cashier reports any unusual practices or deviations of policy to the Controller or Assistant Controller.
II. Job Responsibilities
• Ensures accuracy of daily bank deposits for the hotel in a timely manner.
• Prepare hotel daily bank deposits.
• The General Cashier will open each envelope, verify the accuracy of the cash and balance the total deposit to the drop log and envelope, for each outlet.
• Record cash over/short on a daily basis, summarize individuals on a month end basis and copy and distribute cash over/short reports to the appropriate managers. Alert appropriate department manager and Controller immediately of any employee with a discrepancy of more than $25.00.
• Endorse all checks. Photocopy all checks, (including traveler’s checks), cashed or included in the daily deposit verifying that no employee checks (payroll or personal) were cashed
• Process all duebacks; verifying accuracy of the amount
• Reconcile General Cashier vault daily. Copy, count and report any fund discrepancies to the Assistant Controller immediately and ensure a sufficient supply of cash on hand to provide change to all cash handling associates
• Prepare a Petty Cash distribution report for Accounts Payable weekly to replenish the safe for the funds used for petty cash. Petty cash purchases should be limited and restricted to amounts less than $100. All petty cash purchases should be approved and coded by the department manager. A valid receipt must be attached to each petty cash voucher
• Prepare Coin & Currency change orders for the Cashier safe and all cash handling employees of hotel Protect financial assets of the hotel
• Issue individual cashier banks and to maintain a current log of bank contracts. If a change needs to be made to a contract, the contract should be voided and a new one drawn up
• The General Cashier must keep the signed bank contract on file with a copy maintained in the individual’s personnel file
• The General Cashier must sign a contract for the total of all House funds (including individual cashier bank contracts). This contract should be maintained by the Assistant Controller with a copy in the personnel office
• The General Cashier will perform surprise bank audits monthly on all individual cashier banks and submit results to the Assistant Controller at month end
• Prepares M.O.D. bank and contract on weekends a bank is necessary
Perform other duties as assigned.